Saturday, January 10, 2009

Handmilled Soap


I've been busy working on a lot of projects this weekend to get ready for Valentine's Day. But I really want to talk about a project I actually started on weeks ago...that is--Handmilled soap.

What is Handmilled soap, you ask? Well, basically you start with making a basic cold process soap without any fragrance or essential oil. After it has cured for a week or so it is grated like cheese and then remelted with liquid, usually water. After it is melted and the consistency of mashed potatoes, additional additives are added, like special oils, herbs, and essential oils or fragrance oils.

Sound like a lot work? Well, yes, it is. Maybe that's why it really isn't a popular process for many soapmakers. So then, why bother? Let me explain to you how I got hooked into trying this.

A few weeks before Xmas I decided to make use of all the soap scraps I had been saving from trimming my soaps for the fall craft shows. I just can't throw away all that good soap and I had about a pound or so of soap scraps. So I melted it down, put in some powdered buttermilk mixed with distilled water, and added some fresh holiday scented fragrance. I plopped it into a snowflake silicone cupcake mold I rarely use. After the soap was unmolded and I let it cure a little longer, I tried out a bar--boy was I impressed with how mild and moisturising it felt. Even more so than my other soaps--if that is possible.

So I pulled out a book from my shelf, The Complete Soapmaker by Norma Coney. I started reading about handmilled soap and drooling over the beautiful soaps she has pictured. I also searched the web for any information I could find. There really isn't a lot out there. I did find out that many soapers just don't have the patience for handmilling. Well, if there is one thing I do have, that is patience.

A few days before Xmas, I found suet at the grocery store. According to Coney, this is the best fat to use for the base soap for handmilling. Of course, this has to be rendered, which can be a messy, stinky job. I decided to go for it and didn't find it to be either messy or stinky. I had to let my tallow sit in the fridge until after all the Xmas company left, especially the grandkids. I never make soap when the little kids are around.

I decided to try Coney's 19th century soap recipe. It's an old-fashioned soap that is very mild. She indicated that the soap would be very white and would be be good in even very fancy, detailed molds. It has tallow, over 25% olive oil, and lard. I tweaked it, of course. I also added shea butter and cocoa butter.

It was very easy to mold. When doing soap for handmilling, any good mold will do. I did as Coney suggested. I put it in a Rubbermaid container and didn't have to line it! Soapmakers out there will appreciate that. Lining the mold is one of the most tedious , but necessary, jobs when making cold process soap. The next day it came out of the Rubbermaid container--hard and one of the whitest soaps I have ever made. We didn't have to worry about cutting it precisely either. Most of it will be grated up anyway. And it even smelled good--without any fragrance oil! My husband says it just smells like good, clean soap.

It grates easily. And tomorrow I will be melting it down and molding it. I'm excited to try my cupid heart shaped mold. I have decided to keep out a few bars to sell on Etsy. For those folks who can't tolerate fragrance oils and just want a good mild soap. I haven't quite decided yet what fragrance to put in the handmilled soap. I am thinking of blending Lavender and Peppermint essential oils. I also plan on adding some of my calendula infused oil that I made this fall.

One of the main reasons I wanted to try handmilling is that it is much easier on herbal infused oils and essential oils. These oils are added after the saponification process and the melting down. Processes that can get quite hot and could burn off the beneficial qualities of these types of oils.

I hope you enjoy the picture. I hope you can see how nice and white this soap is. Notice the bag of grated soap, too.

I'll keep you all posted on how the final product turns out.



4 comments:

  1. I tried handmilling and I couldn't take it, too much work for me :) your looks way better then mine did so you have the skill!

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I was reading your entry I kept thinking "that sounds great!". I've never put any thought into how soap was made. I have been thinking about ingredients lately. . . I guess it's a start. Enjoy your handmilling. . . I may have to try some of that soap one day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I make soap, but I have not tried hand milling yet. Can older soap scraps be used? I have lots of scraps, but some are up to 6 months old. Thanks for this interesting and helpful post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, you can use older soaps. In fact, that's how I first started to do handmilling--to use up all my soap scraps. I was so amazed at the extra mildness of the finished product. I suggest adding some liquid to the grated soap and let it sit overnight. Then you may need to add a little more liquid just before melting--but not too much. I have read that you should think of it like a tossed salad and the liquid is the dressing. At least that idea works for me. Let me know how it works for you.

    ReplyDelete