Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Why Handmade Soap

What is so special about handmade soap?

Well, let me first explain what store bought, commercially made soap actually is. Have you ever looked at the labels of those "soaps"? I mean really looked at it. Most are not even called "soaps". They are labeled beauty bars or deodorant bars. That's because they really aren't soap. Soapmakers refer to them as "syndet" bars. Or 'synthetic detergent'. Because, basically, that's what they are--synthetic detergent.

Commercially made soaps are made with lye, just like handmade soaps, and raw ingredients, which are often petroleum distillates and cheap fats and oils, by a method called continuous process. The ingredients are added continuously under pressure in a large vat with high temperatures. During the process, the glycerin is removed and used for other higher priced items like lotions and creams.

If you want to know what the raw ingredients are, do a google search on the ingredients listed on the bar label. Try doing that with your shampoo and conditioner also. That will be very eye-opening.

Handmade soaps, whether mine or most other soapmakers, are created with high-quality, natural ingredients. I use a high amount of olive oil in almost all my soaps; along with rice bran oil, coconut oil, castor oil, and usually shea butter or cocoa butter. (In another posting I will talk about the qualities of my favorite oils and butter)

Plus, handmade soaps contain all the naturally produced glycerin that the commercial companies take out. This makes my soaps much kinder to your skin. Glycerin, after all, is an emollient and helps you to feel good in your skin.

I take great pride in the quality of my soaps. My ingredients are researched, hand-picked, and then processed to create a top quality product that will look good in your soap dish, smell great in your bath, and help your skin feel better than it ever has or could with synthetic detergent bars.

One of the most appealing factors of the soapmaking process to me is the ability to be creative, both with the process and with the different exotic oils and butters that are availabe. I love to try new things. So, if you have special requests or needs, let me know. I would be happy to see if I could create soemthing special for you

2 comments:

  1. I really like your blog. My daughter is wanting to make soap, but has no good recipes yet. I love the idea of homemade anything!
    http://angelsinmygarden.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting post!!!Handmade shampoo is great. It is authentic. No harmful chemical used during preparation!!!

    ReplyDelete